Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The Mercer Connection

School starts back, for me, tomorrow. On Friday, solamente hablo español

But I want to add one more post before I go to bed. And I'm going to issue an apology right now: I've again deliberately made some documents extra large to help you see them better. I know it looks awkward, y'all! But, trust me--it's much easier to read.

This blog is, of course, called "All Things Alawine." But as I mentioned in the entry I called "The Carpenters," we have all those other lines and names, too. Tonight I'm uploading a lot of information about the Mercers.

Interestingly enough, one of the very first genealogical things I got my hands on years ago was a batch of papers about a John Richards. For the life of me, I couldn't really understand at first why he had anything to do with me. He was killed at Goliad, Texas, in 1836. 

[By the way, if you're interested in history and would like to know more about this massacre--which happened before the Mexican American War of 1846-1848--just click on this link to History.com 
http://www.history.com/news/the-goliad-massacre-the-other-alamo  It will chill you.]

Now, the reason I didn't see anything to tie me to John Richards was that John didn't marry and had no descendants. The documents I obtained consisted of letters regarding a claim made on his estate by family members long after he was killed. None of it seemed to have any connection to me at all.

But never throw old letters out if they talk about family! Hidden in plain view in these pages was confirmation that his mother was Nancy Mercer Richards, whose husband was William Richards, and who was the daughter of Jacob and Jaelie Mercer. 
What makes all this instantly relevant to us is that Nancy's daughter Amy married Elijah Alewine. Elijah was the grandfather of my great-grandfather Andrew. 
And, once again, the fascinating part (to me, anyway) is the following document Jacob Mercer (your whatever-great grandfather) signed to apply for a Revolutionary War pension. Look at page 2 of the application, and about a third of the way down is where he signed...on September 4, 1834!   

(For that date, look at the top of the first page.)
 
It takes a while, and a little practice with the document, to decipher the handwriting, which seems to be that of a court clerk. For instance, counting down to the 7th full line (not including where it starts "State of Georgia"),


is translated as "according to law, doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefits of the act of Congress passed June the 7th 1832...... That he entered the..." Those "s's" in "Congress" are typical of the script of the time. See how much of the document you can read!

Page one is a detailed description of when he joined the Revolutionary Army, where he served, what his service involved: "to build a line of forts."

Page two, about halfway down, gives his answers to further questions the court asked--i.e., his date and place of birth; where his birth was recorded ("in the Family Bible, but I do not now know where it is......"); where he was living at the start of the war; whether he volunteered or not ("I was drafted"); and so on.

The third document describes the pension request, along with whom he served under.
Another letter written in November of 1929 indicates that Jacob did receive his pension and that he died on August 6, 1837.
The pictures are pretty self-explanatory: they show Jacob Mercer's Revolutionary War tombstone and a historical marker at the Providence Baptist Church in Jasper County, Georgia.
 

These church photos are of Providence in 1924 and (I believe) at a much later date. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure of the second, newer picture, as I didn't add identifying information to it; but it was in my files with the older one of Providence. If it is the same church, it's been greatly modified. If anyone finds out whether it's still standing, let me know.  [PLEASE CHECK COMMENTS BELOW to read additional information provided by Suzanne Benson.]

So, on this evening before the typical routine of life begins again for me after my break, I like to look back and see that there's a long line of people who lived their lives probably in a routine way, also. They served in armed forces, they married and had children, they founded churches, they filed documents to be able to get pensions from the government.
Just like us, huh? 

...Well, no, not really: Jacob fought in the Revolutionary War. In 1777. None of us did that.

13 comments:

  1. SO OUR ANCESTORS WERE REVOLUTIONIST ! , PROBABLY FOUGHT THE NATIVE AMERICANS ALSO ! ANYWAY IT IS INTERESTING HOW ALL THIS INFORMATION TIES TOGETHER TO BECOME ONE HUGE FAMILY HELPS TO PROVE THAT ALL HUMANS ARE RELATE IF YOU GO BACK FAR ENOUGH SO WE ARE ALL ONE HUMAN SPECIES ! YOU HAVE DONE A LOT OF WORK TO PUT ALL THIS TOGETHER , THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably did fight Native Americans. :( Do you remember all the prejudice still in Leaks Co. in the 60' s?

      Delete
    2. I meant to type "Leake" County....

      Delete
  2. Sheila, I am very interested in our heritage of faith. I have wondered about what denominations are most prevalent in our lineage. Seems to be plenty of church builders. Any preachers? Song leaders? Church planters? Keep up the good work. I am always impressed and so very grateful for your diligence to the family histories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, I'm eventually going to post info about the Wellses. Isaac Wells indeed came from a Methodist family and was one of the earliest circuit-riding preachers in Mississippi! My G-grandfather Andrew Alawine was Methodist until he was old. His wife Lucretia Wells's father was a Methodist minister too, if I remember right without my notes this morning. If you have access to old censuses via Internet, look for Isaac in Lawrence Co. MS in the early 1800' s.

      Delete
  3. Providence Baptist Church, Jasper County GA has a website with some pictures of the graveyard and church. One of Jacob Mercer's grave and one of his wife Jael Mercer who happens to have the oldest grave in the cemetery (1810). I am glad to find out that my great + grandmother was named after one of my favorite ladies from the Bible. Good Jael....hospitable but fierce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't want to overnight with her! LOL Thanks for the additional info about Providence. You did what I hope others are doing as well...you were interested enough to research! I'll have to look at the church website later if I get a chance.

      Delete
  4. Sheila, if you want you can adjust the width of the post which will make the larger pictures look less awkward. Click on design in the top right corner, then the orange customize button under the blog picture. Then over on the top left it will give you and option to adjust widths.

    Very interesting information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm walking a tightrope about the sizing of these pages. I know how to make it smaller (though I do intend to check out what you suggest, in case it's something I haven't tried), but when I do shrink the documents, the print becomes difficult to read, even when you click to enlarge. But thanks!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Sand! That helped some.

      Delete
  5. Sheila: Again, thank you so much for all of the information. I'm trying to research the Smith part of my family. Do you happen to have any information about Sebastian Cabot Smith's ancesters? I'm pretty sure his father was Jarod (Jarrett, Jorrot) Lindsa(e)y Smith, but haven't been able to prove it yet. I've been trying to sort through my mother's papers and found some research you did in 1977. Do you have a better photocopy of those pages than Mama had? Hope your new semester of teaching goes well! Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but I don't have Smiths... That's going to be tough, as you know well, I'm sure (since it's a more common name). Good luck! As for the papers I gave your mother so long ago, maybe scanning some of them and sending them that way might make them more readable. Send me just a list via e-mail of what you have that you'd like a better copy of, and I'll figure out something, if I can.

      Delete
    2. To bbcrafts : I may have a source for your Smith family search. Steve Tucker goes to church with me and we are always trying to scare up kin with each other. I think his mother was a Smith and I know he has mentioned the name Sebastion Cabot Smith. He lives in the Martin community near Kemper county.

      Delete