Saturday, December 30, 2017

What's in a Name?

(Or, "That which we call a rose / By any other name would smell as sweet.")

In the "Comments" section at the end of the previous post, my brother Bob recently raised an interesting question:

How do we pronounce our name?

Since I'd always heard "ALE-ah-wine," I'd thought that query could be answered fairly quickly--but, not so fast! It turns out that a nephew of mine and his wife always say "Aa-lah-wine" (with that first "a" like the "a" in "apple"). Since that nephew grew up hearing from his father the same thing I did from mine (and his dad was another of my brothers), I'm not sure how or when he started saying it differently. However, I hear that pronunciation from people who are struggling to say it as they read from a document--say, the DMV examiner who's trying to pass your new license to you, and the room's full of folks getting one that day.

AND I put up with it a lot in college. Maybe my nephew eventually just gave up and started using the pronunciation himself as a kid, and then it stuck in his own mind.

Through the years there's been a good deal of discussion about this very thing. Back in 1977 in a letter to Beatrice Alewine (Thomas' sister), Alton Alawine commented:

"I was surprised to learn that your family pronounced their name 'Ale-wine' (two syllables). I had assumed that all of the Alewines pronounced the name 'Ale-e-wine' (three syllables), based in part on my conversation with the Alton Alewine of Houston, Texas, several years ago. I asked him about this, and he said his family pronounced their name the same as ours, with three syllables. Also, some of the obvious misspellings in census data indicate that some of the early Alewines in South Carolina pronounced their name with three syllables--that is, if we can assume that the names were spelled according to their sound. For example, the 1820 census for Newberry County includes Elizabeth, Jacob, Joseph and Thomas Alywine." [my emphasis]

(I am as usual depending on my previous correspondence with several family genealogists for reference. Bear with me.)

My father's pronunciation varied a little from how I say the name, now. With him it was "ALE-eh-wine," with a little more "e" in that middle part than I'd have put. When I give my maiden name, I tend to go with "ALE-ah-wine," with more "ah" than "e."

My point here is that we've all probably heard and used different ways of saying it. You may not have stopped to give it a lot of thought, but wherever there are some of us, in different parts of the country, there may be varied pronunciations.

Bob also mentioned that there's a business in California (Alawine.com and https://www.manta.com/c/mm74prx/alawine-marketing) which labels, packs and reviews wines. They, however, are not Alawines, but, instead, use the tag "à la wine," which means, roughly (I guess), "the wine" in French. That indicates the company's name may be pronounced "AH-lah-wine."

I've e-mailed them to find out the answer to this extremely important question. Also to see about a tour, with samples.

A bit of historical context here, thanks to Alton again:
Yes, that's right: Alewines have infested Georgia. And I thought it was mostly Mississippi.

It was my belief and Alton's that the Pennsylvania "Alwines" or "Allwines" (and variations) were probably not related to the Southern bunch of Alewines--at least, not closely enough to count it. Maybe four or five centuries ago, they were. But the fact that their names apparently always had only two syllables and that they are still clustered more or less in the northeast seems to support the theory.

And, anyway, we know which ship the Southern ones sailed in on. More on that, later.

If the name is a problem for people to say even now, 250 years after the Alewine immigrant, it stands to reason that, in the early 1800's, spelling it probably posed a true conundrum for census-takers. 

I hope Alewine/Alawine descendants who read this blog will comment on their own pronunciations of the family name. You could leave a brief statement like, "Two syllables," or, "Three syllables, 'Aa' at the first," or whatever. It might be fun to figure out who says what! 

But, as Shakespeare said, "Thou art thyself....What's in a name?" 


Ælfwine
 

17 comments:

  1. Well I wowed Bo with my ability to pronounce his last name. Al-ah-wine.BTW you inspired me to start my own family blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I want to read it! What will you name it? Do you have a lot of documents, photos, etc.? I'm guessing your mother's family name isn't as hard to pronounce as mine--or maybe, being Irish? For sure, "Jackson" won't be a problem! :D

      Delete
    2. https://rossomeara.blogspot.com/

      Well apparently O'Meara was both hard to pronounce and hard to spell. I don't know much about the Jackson side of the family so it's mainly Ross-O'Meara for right now and eventually I'll add the Thompson branch as I will have help from family. On the Jackson side I would be on my own.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. The Name Ross O'Meara Gibson came from my Great Grandma Rebecca's last names. Ross is her maiden name she married Martin Francis O'Meara (My Great Grandfather) and after he died married Great Grandpa Gibson.

      Delete
  2. SO IF YOU STILL USE A' LA WINE IT BECOMES FRENCH OR SPANISH WHICH GOES WITH WHAT SOME OF THE MORMAN FOLKS IN UTAH SAID WAS THE CORRECT WAY AND THAT THE NAME WAS FIRST USED ALONG THE FRENCH/SPANISH BORDER AND THAT IT WAS ORIGINALLY A FRENCH - BASQUE NAME , THE PEOPLE THAT LOVED FREEDOM SO MUCH THAT THEIR DECENDANTS IN NORTHERN SPAIN ARE STILL FIGHT FOR THEIR SOVEREIGNTY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we moved to the Gulf Coast people had less trouble pronouncing Alawine. I guess because of the many French and Spanish names down here.

      Delete
  3. BUT IN THE LONG RUN IT DOES NOT REALLY MATTER , BECAUSE LOCAL DIALECTS ALWAYS HAVE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT SOUNDS AND PRONUNCIATIONS ! AND AS PEOPLE LEARNED NEW LANGUAGES , THE PRONUNCIATIONS CHANGE WITH THE LANGUAGE CHANGE ! CASE IN POINT , JESUS ENGLISH AND JESUS IN SPANISH SPELLED THE SAME AND PRONOUNCED TOTALLY DIFFERENT BECAUSE OF LANGUAGE AND OF COURSE THE SAME APPLIES TO MANY OTHER NAMES !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Basque language is, to me, a mystery. I doubt those people will ever have their own country. At least Franco's not around anymore to be repressing their culture.

      Delete
  4. You should listen to this video sometime about Basque poetry. It breaks my heart.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Fw82uYw14

    ReplyDelete
  5. We always pronounced it "ay-luh-wine", heavily accenting the first syllable. I have heard many folks ( not family) in the Lauderdale/Newton/Neshoba/Kemper area say "al ( as in pal) -uh-wine. I am faithful to correct those in error.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :o) I always said my name the way you described, too, but there ARE relatives who themselves do not. As I said, I suspect it's just that after hearing it said another way for so long, you just sort of give in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting discussion. I grew up in Georgia along the state line with South Carolina. Most Alewines and many of my cousins still live in South Carolina. In our family, back three generations at least, we pronounced it "Ale-Wine" like the two drinks. However,everywhere in the States where I have been, most people seeing our name for the first time say "Al-a-wine" or "Ale-ee-wine". It would be very interesting to check with other clans of Alewines in South Carolina, particularly with those near modern day Newberry (closest to the original Alewine homestead) to see how they pronounce it. I will see what I can find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why it lists me as "Unknown" above, but it's me, Bill Alewine, billalewine48@gmail.com

      Delete
  8. Columbia SC Alewine though now residing an hour north of Charlotte NC. My grandfather [Furman Isaac] alway pronounced it "A-le[luh]-wine". Great information and history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for delaying my reply. A setting on the blog needed to be adjusted so that I could get notifications people had commented. --Glad to hear from you, Brian, and it's very interesting to see that you pronounce your name the way my family does, mostly!

      Delete